Monday, March 4, 2024

Dialogue between two Italian puddles






 A Roman and Milanese puddle have an early March talk. They have known each other for some time.


Roman Puddle: Hey, I heard you've had more rain since Hannibal crossed the Alps.

Milan Puddle: You're not kidding. The city's drains are so stuffed that even if it stopped raining I could be                                       puddling for weeks.

RP: You in heaven! I remember when I was puddling under Romulus and Remus, everyone walked around us, even the children, you know why?

MP: No

RP: The puddle was white, white with milk.

MP: Of course, ma certo!

RP: If you remember, my puddle is just at the base of the aqueduct, at Piazza Maggiore. Everyday dozens of ancient trams screech by me, and there's this newspaper vendor who sweeps me dry every morning while whistling some tune about a boat.

MP: Yes, I remember you telling me about the whistler. I'm at the exit of the main train station, where hundreds of tourists discard their used tickets to the point where I look like a floating lily pond of tickets. 

RP: Pity there are no frogs.

MP: Very funny. My Milan puddle pals call me "Gunk".

RP: Gunk with no reflection. Ah ah ha!

MP: Ha! You remember the puddle from Geneva, when Frankenstein the monster saw it's reflection for the first time in that clean, Swiss, puddle, it took the joy out of its heart.

RP: It wasn't a Narcissus moment, that's for sure.

MP: The monster would't have seen much if he were looking at my puddle.

RP: Ripple. * (An expression used by puddles to express agreement.)

MP I also remember 700 years ago, in the day of Dante, there was the puddle from Ravenna that was bragging it always had 9 rings going around it.

RP: You serious? How could you control something like that?

MP: Divine intervention, I guess.

RP: A puddle in Hell, Purgatory and

MP: Pahradize! (Accentuating its Milanese accent.)

RP. That's la divinitá for sure, which reminds me of Oppenheimer.

MP: Oppen-who?

RP: Heimer. If you look at th beginning of the film, you'll notice it starts with a puddle and you see

MP: Concentric rings moving ...

RP: How do you know?

MP: What makes a puddle puddle?



RP: So sage, to get to the point, yeh, the puddle ripples.

MP: And you're going to tell me why.

RP: The ripples are like nuclear shock waves, get it?

MP: Dang!

RP: You remember Chernobyl?

MP: Never forget.

RP: The radioactive rain, we were

Together: GLOWING AT NIGHT!


The two puddles remain silent for a while.


MP: I heard they're cleaning the drains in Rome, is that true?

RP: Yes, it is.

MP: Are you ever tempted at night to go stuff them?

RP: Without proper papers? You want to corrupt me?

MP: Just saying, our drains in Milan are all good, in puddlespeak of course. I have contacts, you know.

RP: You have contacts?

MP: We've been friends for a long time. I do you a favour, you do me a favour.

RP: Ok, I get it, but what can I do for you?

MP: Not sure, maybe something to do with Leonardo. I have to puddle it over and get back to you.

RP: Listen, I can't hear you anymore, this huge cloud -most likely from the north- is unloading more rain than a cargo ship. Talk to you soon, hey, Milan Puddle, you hear?






No comments: